Saturday, August 21, 2010

Just a typical Gen Y!

I WANT IT ALL, NOW!

Okay, so I have *nearly* everything. Just not a billionaire uncle who has no immediate family and leaves me all his riches when he goes (well, he can't take it with him, can he?).

But I want my new couch, and I want it yesterday!

The Boss and I braved the bogan wilds of Rockbunghole this morning to visit Super A-Mart in search of a new lounge suite.

Mistake #1: Trying to hide major purchases from my parents, and opting to take the children.
This one's obvious. Children hate sitting still for over an hour, especially if there's nothing Dora-, Wiggles- or Hi-5-themed to keep them amused. Put one child in stroller, another in underpants when we know there's no toilets within a 20-second sprint, add a couple of fruit bars and spotlessly clean leather lounge suites arranged tastefully... you have a recipe for disaster.

Of course, they did exactly what I expected them to, and hoped they wouldn't. Jumped all over every couch they saw (and REFUSED to get down if it was white), smeared mushy fruit bar filling (apple, so at least a *little* less stainy than blueberry?) all over microfibre ones (well, that'll teach them to rort an extra $200 out of suspecting customers for Scotchguarding), and threatened to smash every tasteful (read: fragile) decoration placed strategically on low-line coffee tables throughout the warehouse.
And it goes without saying that they conveniently left their 'indoor voices' at home this morning. Pretty sure the girl we spoke to about financing a suite was coming very close to strangling Squirtle with the string attached to her wrist at one end, and a helium balloon at the other.
(May I add, the balloon was REALLY handy for keeping track of her when I turned my back for a split second and lost her amongst plush lounges. 'Oh, yep, she's over near the outdoor settings. Go grab her will you, honey, while I surreptitiously put my feet up on this couch to test it?')


So, in the end, we chose our new lounge suite. Consisting of a 2-seater couch and two recliners. Did I mention the couch has two inbuilt recliners? Oh lord. If only it were available in red, like the leather recliner set that was my second preference (only due to the fact that it was $300 more costly, and I just spent that on tickets to go see Rihanna next year).

And then, the kicker: 'Sorry, we have none in stock at the moment. You can expect it to arrive in October, or go with the leather set.'

This displeases me. It displeases me greatly. I'm the kind of person who will pay $200 for a pair of shoes when I could get the exact same pair for $50 on eBay, but I just can't wait for them to be delivered. I want my couches. I want them on Thursday (delivery day). Not Thursday 6 weeks away!

But...
I suppose it is something to look forward to. Although the overanalytical imbecile in me now regrets the saving and thinks we should have gone with the red leather suite, just so I could be at Pillow Talk first thing tomorrow finding new curtains to match, instead of trying to work our current blue curtains into a colour scheme with 'Raisin'.
Waaah.

Where's that billionaire uncle? I need to just hire an interior decorator and wash my hands of the whole ordeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment